Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 23:14:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Colorado Jumbo 250MB ft, and FreeBSD 2.0R

As Peter Dufault wrote:

> > Some one from the fdc driver camp care to comment about this?
>
> It was a problem that this warning complained about that caused
> the "2.0 boot floppy fails on Micronics motherboard" problem, which
> is why I added the warning.
> I don't have a floppy tape and don't get any of these warnings.

Boot with ``-c'' and set flag 0x1 for fdc0...

Ok, i'm still thinking about the problem.  My current believe is
either do only enable them when booting with `-v' (easy case), or
don't complain during the initial device probe phase (that's the only
case where polling makes sense -- and the problem results out of the
ft driver polling the FDC), and only enable the messages after the
kernel went up.  This way, the messages won't be lost for serious
problems, but they won't bother people for things that actually are
not error conditions.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/