Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 15:38:32 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Dawson <md@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

[Resending this because it didn't show up in freebsd-hackers.  Mark]

Excerpts from freebsd:  Brian Tao@gate.sinica.ed (691*)

>    Has someone made some sort of hardware add-on to
> PC's like a miniature PrestoServe (say, with a max of 64 megs of
> cache) with drivers for FreeBSD so it can flush data out to disk after
> a reboot?  That would be nifty.

Take a look at Compaq's Smart SCSI controller (part #142055-001).

It has a couple of megs of battery-backed memory, two fast scsi-2
controllers and does various levels of RAID on upto 14 hot-pluggable
disks - it screams along at RAID 0 and the nv-ram gives reliable async-like
performance.  Switching to RAID 5 makes it really bullet-proof.

I have written a FreeBSD driver for this EISA card which is running very
happily on a Compaq Proliant 2000 (and hopefully soon a Proliant 1500).
Let me know if you're interested!

BTW is anyone running FreeBSD on a Proliant 1500 (triflex-pci motherboard)?

Mark