Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:45:50 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Sonia Sachs <ssachs@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch for 2.1.0

Hi Sonia,

You should try to subscribe to the multimedia freebsd mailing list:

mail majordomo@freebsd.org

subscribe multimedia

quite a few numbers of folks can help you out with respect to FreeBSD
and the multimedia stuff.

To install FreeBSD-2.2 current is simple, the latest SNAP is from 6/12:
1. save whatever info you need on a remote machine

2. get the boot floppy ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/2.2-960612-SNAP/floppies/boot.flp

3. format a floppy disk:

fdformat /dev/rfd0a

4. copy it to a floppy:
dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0a

Before installing the system get the following:
ip address for you box
ip address for you name server
ip address for your gateway

Boot from the floppy and install freebsd over the network.

The process takes less than an hour.

If you have a PCI bus I will be happy to loan you my SMC PCI card.
Is rather important to have a *good* PCI ethernet card for fast
video and to not put a heavy CPU burden on the system with
heavy ethernet traffic --- all this is on the context of MBONE .

"twm" gosh I have not use twm in quite a while 8)

Try to download if you like fvwm-95:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-current/x11/fvwm95-2.0.41f.tgz

Besides looking nice , it is kind of handy to have a virtual desktop
when you are doing audio/video conferencing . A panel for the mbone
goodies and the rest well for whatever you like.

Which video graphics board do you have?

I am not too busy this week so if you run into serious problems
I can stop by if you like.

	Regards,
	Amancio