Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 03:35:22 +0300
From:      Vadim Kolontsov <vadim@tversu.ru>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel/syslogd hack

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 04:23:52PM -0800, Don Lewis wrote:

> } > If you wanted to use SCM_CREDS, you'd need to tweak syslog() and rebuild
> } > the shared library.  I don't think this is too much of a disadvantage.
> }
> }   Who will rebuild all binary-only FreeBSD/Linux apps, available on the market?
> } Not all of them use shared libraries.
>
> I suspect that not many of those that are statically linked call syslog().
>
> If syslogd received a message without the credentials, it could log the
> information that it was handed with an indication that the information
> may not be trustworthy.

  Yes, it's clear. And I like this approach much better than my
attempts. So if everybody think that using SCM_CREDS is a good idea,
may be it should be included in -current? It will not break anything
(the only thing which will be changed is log format, but using new
feature can be optional -- just another option for syslogd). And it's
not hard to implement.

Regards,
V.
--