Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:04:04 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <dcj-list-freebsd-stable@palomine.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jamie Heckford <jamie@tridentmicrosystems.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH problem with PuTTY?

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 05:50:11PM +0100, Jamie Heckford wrote:
> CVS'uped one of my boxes today to:
>=20
> FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1: Fri Jul 19 13:24:46 BST 2002
>=20
> Whenever I try to connect to this box via ssh, using putty release 0.52 on
> WinXP I get the login prompt. After succesfully logging in, putty dies wi=
th a
> fatal error, before it displays anything after the password: prompt.
>=20
> Works fine with ssh from other unix boxes tho :-)
>=20
> Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening?

PuTTY will crash after successful keyboard-interactive authentication. This
happens as of version 1.2.2.2 of src/crypto/openssh/auth2-pam-freebsd.c, but
not with previous versions. It also happens with the openssh-portable-3.4p1
port.

A workaround (if you don't need S/Key passwords, which unfortunately I do) =
is
to disable keyboard-interactive authentication in PuTTY (Connection/SSH/Aut=
h),
or you can just hit Enter at the "Password:" prompt until you get a
"jblough@host.example.com's password:" prompt.

Chris Johnson

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn--