Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:05:25 -0800
From:      Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
To:        Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some audio capture questions

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 07:40:48AM -0700, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> Hi, I saw some questions about audio recording earlier. I have some
> questions of my own. I am basement DJ, and I'd like to capture my sessions
> to something like MP3 or Ogg via my soundcard. I currently have a Aureal
> Vortex 8830 (that's what dmesg says, anyway). Will this hardware work?

Should.

> Also, do any tools exist to do on-the-fly capture and encoding to MP3 or
> Ogg?

I have a perl script that I archive stations with (ie www.kfcf.org)
that depends on a C hack that I wrote to set /dev/dsp to the proper
settings (ie stereo/mono, sample rate, etc) and spit it out to
standard out to be piped into LAME and then sent to an Icecast
server to to be saved to a file.  You can see some of these scripts
and sources at:

	http://www.lns.com/papers

Tim
--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247