Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 11:22:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, vdue@zen.tc, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b

Darryl Okahata writes:
| David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:
|
| > >I looked at the possibilty of using one of my servers as the AP for
| > >the laptop, but the info on setting this up is a bit sketchy regarding
| > >some of the aspects. PCI v ISA, and which cards are supported in this
| > >configuration. From the BAWUG page, I did find the info on how to
| > >setup the FreeBSD base station, but it references the ISA setup.
| >
| > >My server doesn't have any ISA slots. 8-) (Abit VP6 w/4.3-STABLE)
| >
| > I've not done this sort of thing myself, so I won't add to any confusion
| > by commenting further on it, except to note that some folks do use such
| > setups.
|
|      Unless Warner's MFC'd something from -current, PCI PCMCIA adapters
| (required for creating an ad-hoc access point) aren't supported in
| -stable.
|
| [ For that matter, I'm unaware that PCI PCMCIA adapters are working in
|   -current, although they may be (I haven't been following -current very
|   closely).  Also, there are (were???) issues regarding 802.11b
|   bridging: you can't do it with -stable, and have to use routing/NAT.
|   Hopefully, someone will correct me.  ]
|
|      For now, an ISA slot is *required* if you want to create your own
| ad-hoc access point.  If you don't have one, you can't do it (with
| FreeBSD, anyway).

The PCI version of the Cisco Aironet just works ...

	an0: <Aironet PCI4800> port 0xe800-0xe83f,0xe400-0xe47f mem 0xe4000000-0xe400007f irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci0
	an0: Ethernet address: 00:40:96:35:3f:71

since 4.1 or there abouts.  I think Alfred has the Addtron PCI wireless
card working with "wi".  Don't know the status since I don't use it but
is relatively new code.

Doug A.