Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:55:18 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
Subject:   Re: new message digest support in pkgsrc (fwd)

Trevor Johnson wrote:

> I've added this utility to the FreeBSD ports collection (as
> security/digest).
> --
> Trevor Johnson
> http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt

Huh, interesting, but what real benefits does sha1 have for verifying distfiles
compared with md5? IMO, md5(1) is a quite adequiate for the task, while
headache and users' confusion in the md5->sha1 switching process are almost
guranteed. Please don't propose useless changes just for the sake of change.

-Maxim