Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 23:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Source?

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Kwoody wrote:

> I want to install the source code on my 2.1.7 machine. How much room does
> it take up?

Around 250 megabytes, if you have the whole CVS tree and did a `make
world' recently.  If I ran du right, it should be 330 megabytes,
approximately.  (That doesn't seem right tho.)

> I have just over 112 megs free on /usr. Also I have been doing some
> cleanin up of  old files and have free'd up alot of space. (over 20 megs)

You need more.

> Should anything like a" "defrag" be done on the filesystems? I ve looked at
> tunefs and fsck but not sure which one should be run. (if any that is)

No.  The FreeBSD filesystem is structured to avoid fragmentation, unlike
the DOS FAT which is really bad about it.  Just don't let your disk get
too full or the files will fragment pretty badly.  The only way to fix a
really badly fragmented disk is to back it up, remove everything, then
restore.

> Also what is this top command Ive seen mentioned here?

Top is a system monitoring utility.  For your 2.1.7 box you'd have to get
the package or port; in 3.0-CURRENT it's now part of the system.