Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:07:47 +0100
From:      Ralf Folkerts <ralf.folkerts@gmx.de>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random reboots with FreeBSD-7 STABLE

Roland Smith wrote:

Hi Roland,

thanks for your reply!

[...]
>> It *always* happens when I'm "in" X; usually while using firefox3. It
>> may not happen 7 days but then three days in a row.
>>
> [...]
> Sounds like hardware trouble.
>
> It could be a dying powersupply, or a loose cable. If you have a spare
> powersupply, swap it out. Or have it tested instead. Sometimes checking
> if all the cables are connected properly might help.

Well, when the System crashed the 2nd or 3rd time I did reset all
Connectors and RAM. I might try another PS, though.

However, as mentioned, the same machine runs nicely with Kubuntu
8.10/amd64. Now, I do know this is is everything but a "proof" that the
Hardware is OK; however, to me this is is kind of "indicator" that the
problem might be lying "more" on the FreeBSD-side than on the
Hardware-side. I did run Kubuntu for I think ~3 weeks w/o any Problems;
I also use KDE 4 on Kubuntu, Firefox 3, Thunderbird, ... on Kubuntu.
When booting into FreeBSD the System dies ~2 times/week (as mentioned,
it might run 5 days in a row w/o trouble and then crash every day or
even several times/day for a fews days).

> You might want to look into this as well:
>

>> pid 1215 (nepomukservicestub), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

Well, that seems to be Strigi; it doesn't run on Kubuntu, too (but it
does run fine on Gentoo). However, I might/should turn Nepomuk off
completely. Wanted to give the Semantic Desktop try but it seems it's
not ready for me, yet ;-)

Thanks again; as mentioned I will swap PSs (have an identical one in
another machine) - however, I'm afraid this won't solve the
crashes/reboots :-(

Cheers,
_ralf_