Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 21:35:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp, bradley@dunn.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

> Hi.
>
> We have a BSD/OS box that we are going to be switching over to FreeBSD.
> There are about 100 logins on the BSD/OS box that are over 8 characters in
> length.
>
> After thinking this over, I have decided that getting all of those people
> to change their login names would be a tech. support nightmare. So that is
> not an option. The long names must stay. (Yes I know about sendmail
> aliases; no that is not an option because having the login name different
> from the email address is also a support nightmare.)
>
> >From discussions held on this matter in the past, my understanding is that
> UT_NAMESIZE in <utmp.h> and MAXLOGNAME in <sys/param.h> are the numbers to
> change. So I change both of those numbers to 16, make the world, and hope
> everything works. Any caveats?
>
> I know this breaks NIS interoperability, but NIS between FreeBSD boxes
> will still work, correct?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - -BD

NIS will still work, yes. The username is not copied to any buffers
that might overflow (it's actually used in-place). Technically, NIS
itself doesn't care about the length of the username: the only limitation
is that records (keys or data) can't be longer that 1024 bytes.

Whether or not the rest of the OS can deal with it is another matter.

-Bill