Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:55:24 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 300 Baud V.21 modem for I4B

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 10:43:00AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <199912140200.DAA20856@saturn.kn-bremen.de>, Juergen Lock writes:
>

> > But shouldn't just about any analog modem still be able
> >to talk V.21 too?  Or do the recent ones no longer?
> >(Could be you have to send some command to allow
> >non-error-corrected connections.)
>
> I don't know of any modems which can't do V.21.

Me neither, but then i haven't installed one (or even read
comp.dcom.modems...) for a long time.  (My old V.32b one
certainly does, and it does V.23 too.)

> > I wonder if i still have that 1200/75bps atari sio driver
> >somewhere that i had to hack for V.23...  (yup that was an
> >asymmetric standard, and the uart had only one clock for both
> >directions so the 75 bps had to be done in software.)
>
> As far as I recall V.23 is also a FSK standard,

 Yup it is!  There also seems to be another 300 bps FSK modem
standard, Bell 103...

>  and as such it
> should be easy to adapt my code to do it (since the uart is already
> done in software).  But I don't have any of the "old" V.* documents,
> I only have them from V.32 and forward...

 I did a quick altavista search and found some information here,
http://computer.org/cspress/CATALOG/BP05697/chapter5.htm
and here, (description of an FSK chip that does V.23)
http://www.ampr.poznan.pl/users/sp3uqs/tcm3105/index.html
At least the frequencies etc. are there, not sure if you need more?

 What may also be interesting are the FSK modulations used by the
various TDD/TTY/EDT etc. devices that deaf people use to `talk'
over the phone, here are a few links i found about those:

http://www.phone-tty.com/ttyinfo.htm
http://tap.gallaudet.edu/TTY-Basics.htm
http://www.totse.com/files/FA055/ham02.htm

 Regards,