Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:49:27 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup, correct tags?

--==_Exmh_1577052988P

If memory serves me right, David Raistrick wrote:

> I've been wondering this for a while and cant seem to find it clearly
> documented anywhere....This morning it's causing me a minor amount of
> trouble, so it's time to ask.
>
> What is the correct CVS tag to use and when?

For a list of the most commonly-used tags, see:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

> For example, this morning I can cvsup to RELENG_4_6 and get the
> 4.6.2-RELEASE UPDATING (at least, it contains the release point entry:
> 20020814:
>         FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE.
>
> If i cvsup to the RELENG_4_6_2 tag, it wipes the src tree completely.

RELENG_4_6_2 is not a valid tag.

> If I get RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE, the new UPDATING lacks the 4.6.2-RELEASE
> release point..the last entry is:
>
> 20020813:       p11
>         Bounds checking errors in accept(), getsockname(),

That's because the line that notes the date of 4.6.2-RELEASE wasn't
added until after RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE was tagged.  You can use either
"cvs log" or cvsweb.FreeBSD.org to check the relationship between the
revision numbers of a file and the CVS tags.

[snip]

> Last night we also cvsupd to RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE from cvsup.freebsd.org
> and UPDATING contained only the p11 point still.

Right.

> Could someone point me to some documentation that covers these tags so I
> can get a better idea on what is used for what?

See the URL above...that should cover all the common cases.

Good luck!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1577052988P

--==_Exmh_1577052988P--