Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:51:41 +0000 ()
From:      Jay Lixfeld <carrera@idirect.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: caching nameserver problems...

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
>

> > > this sounds like you have bind before hosts in your /etc/resolv.conf...
> > > move hosts before that... and make sure that all your names you use are
> > > listed in /etc/hosts...
> > >

> > Great!  I'll give it a try!  I'm pretty sure that it is bind, then hosts
> > in /etc/resolv.conf tho!?!
>
> that is the default....  with hosts first it will check /etc/hosts before
> going to the name server (to then fail)...  let me know if it works....
> ttyl..
>
> John-Mark
>
> gurney_j@efn.org
> http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
> Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)
>
> Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)

Well, if you look below, you will see my /etc/host.conf file:

# $Id: host.conf,v 1.2 1993/11/07 01:02:57 wollman Exp $
# Default is to use the nameserver first
# bind
hosts
# If that doesn't work, then try the /etc/hosts file
# hosts
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

It originally said bind before hosts.  I changed it as per the person who
told me about caching nameservers.  It is setup correctly..  here is
the lines in my /etc/rc that cause the system to lag..  it looks as tho
sendmail is screwing things up.  I thing that it is trying to send mail
somewhere, but can't because the network connection is not made yet
because it is dialup!:

This is the first place it hangs..

# Recover vi editor files.
virecovery=`echo /var/tmp/vi.recover/recover.*`
if [ "$virecovery" != '/var/tmp/vi.recover/recover.*' ]; then
        echo 'Recovering vi editor sessions'
        for i in $virecovery; do
                sendmail -t < $i
        done
fi

After 5 minutes or so, it moves on to the second hanging point which is:

# $sendmail_flags is imported from /etc/sysconfig;
# if $sendmail_flags is something other than NO, sendmail is run.
if [ "X${sendmail_flags}" != X"NO" -a -r /etc/sendmail.cf ]; then
        echo -n ' sendmail';            /usr/sbin/sendmail
${sendmail_flags}
fi

As you can see, sendmail is in both those lines.  I beleive it is
sendmail, but I have no idea how to fix it!

HELP! :)

Jason Lixfeld