Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:43:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
To:        "Chris B. Wilson" <cbw@vector.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ascend access switches?

We use both the Max and the old portmasters (pm2e). The Max 4000 for ISDN and
the portmaster in conjunction with Microcom Racks for modems. The
4000 is wonderful since you get a device that's smaller than a
portmaster that handles up to 95 B channels. I wish Ascend's QA
department would be a little more careful with the numerous
releases they issue so that we don't need to keep updating
as often as we do. Other than that the Max is a nice Box.
The old portmasters are old workhorses, they handle up to
30 28.8/33.6 modems and they just work and work.

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Chris B. Wilson wrote:

> Livingston has just announced the latest product in their PortMaster line,
> the Portmaster 3. It integrates ISDN and Analog connections into the same
> box, in the fassion of the MAX. However, Livingston's solution is *much*
> more affordable. A fully loaded 48-port PM3 which will support 48 B
> channels or 48 33.6k digital modem connections (or any combination
> inbetween) is only around $350/port.
>
> That is *very* impressive, since if you considered the previous
> alternatives. $350/port is a damn good price even for analog dial-up
> (managed rack mount). Plus having 48 ports in half the space of a PM2E is
> pretty impressive.

As far as I'm concerned this is vapor-ware. It's not shipping, so
it might be here in a month, or not. Please notice also
that Ascend has a deal for ISPs, a Max4000 with 48 digital modems
for 22,500 or $468 ports. Since you get 45 more B channels, this
is a great deal if you do both ISDN and modems.

> I've been using Livingston for quite a while now, and have been very happy
> with their products, support, and people.
>
> Chris
>
> On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Tony Kimball wrote:
>
> > Quoth Graydon Hoare on Wed, 25 September:
> > : Anyone used one of these ascend max 4000ex's?
> > : My boss just handed me literature. they look a lot like the telebit mica
> > : machines. I see lots of people discussing their portmasters -- anyone
> > : tried anything else?
> >
> > PortMaster is a trademark of Livingston, a competitor to Ascend.
> > There are PortMaster terminal servers (POTS/ISDN) and (integrated)
> > routers.  I have used neither, but will say that the word of mouth on
> > Ascend products is much better than Livingston products, if you can
> > stomach their licensing terms, which I cannot.
> >

> // Chris Wilson, Gateway Telecommunications, Inc.       | Ofc: 352.375.8658 //
> // http://www.vector.net/~cbw    cbw@vector.net         | Pgr: 352.412.4341 //
> // VectorNet - Quality Internet in Gainesville, Florida | Fax: 352.376.8353 //

Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror@dnai.com