Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 17:20:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware Recommendations Requested

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Hi...

    Hi, Marc.  :)  I have a recent price list from our supplier, so I
can quote you some prices to give you a rough idea how much stuff will
cost in the Toronto area.  Everything is in loonies, of course.  :)

> Hard Drives: Quantum or Fujitsu?  Will vary from 500meg to 2Gig

    I've always had good experience with Quantum drives.  For some
reason, our pricing on the 4GB Grand Prix drives is only a few hundred
bucks more than the 2GB version (~$1300 for the 4GB).  I've recently
started using the Seagate Medallist ST51080N 1GB drives, and with the
exception of one that failed three days after plugging it in, the rest
haven't given me any problems (~$375).

> Video: Trident 512K ISA SVGA

    I think there's a Trident 256K VGA card in one of the servers.
You can do 132x50 using the pcvt console, which is just dandy for
doing serious work on the machine without having to go X.  Around $40.

> Motherboard: 486DX4-100, ASUS, PCI

    The SP3G motherboard, 256K cache and a DX4/100 is about $320.  The
P55TP4XEG motherboard, 256K pipeline cache and a 90-MHz Pentium is
$460.  You save yourself about $90 with the SP3G though, because it
comes with the SCSI controller on the motherboard.  I'd personally go
for the Pentium system.  A couple hundred bucks isn't much in the long
run.

> Memory: 32Meg Parity 72pin SIMMS - Brand ??

    Parity won't be used on Triton-based motherboards (nor on the
SP3G, I believe).  About $650 for a 60ns 32MB SIMM, no parity.

> Ethernet: SMC 8013, 10baseT

    The SMC 10Mbps EtherPower PCI controller (the 8432?) is $162.  The
10/100Mbps version (the 9332) is $215.  I know you can get ISA 10Mbps
cards for a lot less, but with PCI, you don't have to worry about
irq's and port addresses and plug-n-pray firmware.

> SCSI Controller: ASUS SC-200 (PCI)

    This is what I use.  About $90, as I mentioned above.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internex Online Inc.