Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:23:01 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Choosing a PCMCIA modem for NEWCARD

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble figuring out how to choose a supported PCMCIA modem
for -CURRENT's NEWCARD.

First, am I doing things properly?  I have this in my kernel config

	device	cbb
	device	pccard
	device cardbus

and this in /boot/loader.conf:

	hw.cardbus.debug="1"
	hw.cardbus.cis_debug="1"
	hw.pccard.debug="1"
	hw.pccard.cis_debug="1"
	hw.cbb.debug="1"

With nothing plugged into this Compaq Presario 2712EA's cardbus slot, I
get this from dmesg:

pccbb0: <TI1410 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 11 at device 6.0 on pci2
pccbb0: PCI Memory allocated: d0200000
cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on pccbb0
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on pccbb0
pccbb0: pccbb_power: CARD_VCC_0V and CARD_VPP_0V [44]
pccbb0: card inserted: event=0x00000000, state=00000000
pccbb0: Unsupported card type detected

Looks suspect already. :-)

I tried inserting a Xircom 32bit CardBus CME56WG, and got no kernel
messages at all.  Adding the device/vendor ID of the device to sio_pci.c
(on the recommendation of someone on IRC) didn't help.

So am I on the right track?  When I insert a supported device, should I
expect to see kernel messages from cardbus0?

And if so, has anyone got any recommendations for a decent device,
preferably one that offers a real sio device and not some WinModem junk?
My local wholesaler has a 3CXM756 on offer, but won't let me try before
I buy. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.