Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2020 11:27:21 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mininal skills

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:02:29 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>I applaud your determination, and I also think it's pretty perverse for
>people in *what is a FreeBSD channel* to tell enthusiastic newcomers to
>go away and use some other operating system.  That's really not
>helpful.

It's not perverse, it's a sane alternative to gain UNIX alike basic
skills on a bare metal install, instead of running Windows or MacOS and
install FreeBSD as a guest in a virtual machine.

However, for learning purpose running FreeBSD as a guest, as well as
running Ubuntu on bare metal are alternatives one could consider,
instead of running FreeBSD on bare metal.

The reason for this is missing hardware support!

By hook or by crook, soon or later the OP will run into hardware
issues. The hardware industry does not care that much about BSD or
Linux. In some cases they are at best willing to semi-support Linux,
while they usually don't care about FreeBSD at all. Ignoring this is
unworldly, if a completely hardware and software newbie does ask how to
gain computer knowledge. In the last decade it didn't become better,
hardware support for BSD and Linux became more worse than it was years
back. The best OOTB hardware support is provided by user-friendly
Linux distros, most likely by Ubuntu.

In the end most enthusiastic newbies anyway migrate to a proprietary
operating system.

I tried to avoid to point this out, since it might cause fear,
uncertainty and doubt, but I have to do it, if you call it perverse to
consider a valid pointer to avoid issues.