Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:03:40 -0500
From:      "Andre Fortin" <apfortin@cyberbeach.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Any FTP Daemon using NIS

Hello,

	We are running a FreeBSD 4.5 system which is an NIS client to another 4.5
system.  I've tried every PAM example I could find, as well as turning off
PAM from ProFTPD, and it can never authenticate NIS-known users.  It
understands users with local accounts, but returns a PAM error in the logs.
We run QPOP on the same machine, and it authenticates fine.  I copied the
PAM configuration line for pop3 and changed the service name (using
pam.conf, not pam.d/) with no success.  Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions
of different FTP daemons that might work properly with NIS.

Andre