Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:57:31 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Ani D <aneroid@subdimension.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot manager and filesystem

At 23:57 19-01-2001 +0530, Ani D wrote:
>next, it asks wether i want to install the freebsd boot manager in the
>mbr or standard boot loader or whatever. i choose the  first option and
>then it asks on which disk. ad2 is already checked (probably because of
>the last step) here, i need need the boot loader in the mbr. so that's
>on ad0. so i uncheck ad2 and say ad0. but then it asks me to give the
>filesystem info like where to put swap, the native slice, etc. thing
>is...it automatically choses ad0 for the filesystem. how do i change
>this? when i go back and come to the bootmanager question and chose the
>first option, it directly takes me to the screen where i have to set up
>the filesystem structure. here, is there any way i can indicate that it
>has to be on ad2?

You need to have a boot manager on both disks to boot FreeBSD from the
second one. Upon boot, the system will load the boot manager from the
first disk. You press F5 to tell it to load the boot manager from Disk
2. After it does, you press F2 (or whichever) to boot FreeBSD from the
second disk.

I have Windows booting from disk 1, FreeBSD from disk 2, so if I want
to boot Windows, I press F1 at the first boot prompt. If I want
FreeBSD, I press F5 to boot from the second disk, then F2 to boot
FreeBSD from the second disk.

Adam
---
Whiz Kid Technomagic - brand name computers for less.
See http://www.whizkidtech.net/pcwarehouse/ for details.