Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 10:14:39 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Drew Raines <drew-dated-1022684585.514754@rain3s.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal hosts in email

Drew Raines wrote:
[..]
> > The problem is, the mail headers show all the internal hosts that
> > the mail passed (via the Received: lines), and I think that is a
> > security risk.
>
> No.  If you're concerned because of the software you're running, run
> better software.

I'm concerned about all software that is run on my network, as everyone should
be.  I'm comfortable with the software that I do have, but I definitely don't
trust anything 100%.

> > Does anyone have a trick to remove those using the .mc files?
>
> Obscurity is not security.  MTA's add those fields for a reason.  If
> you ever have to diagnose a mail delivery problem, you'll probably
> want them there.

True, it alone is not security, and I'm not betting the ranch on it (nor would I
ever).  On the other hand, less information is a good thing when it comes to
your internal nets.  From my experience, the more you know about someone's
internal network, the more data you have in your "arsenal" for an attack.  I
understand the reasons for adding the fields, and it is helpful, but I am
capable of weighing the positives and negatives of what I am asking, and would
like to be able to try both (which means getting sendmail tweaked).

Eric