Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 01:18:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does 9.0 honor TERM settings

Does 9.0 honor TERM settings?

It appears to me it does not.  Although I set TERM=cons25l1 in .profile
(running bash) and have verified that it is set to that value with SET,
it appears to me that the function keys are mapped to weird xterm-like
strings instead of their ANSI values (example: F7 = E[18~ not E[S).

I cannot figure out how to enter ^[ in rc.conf using keychange or
kbdcontrol -f, but after some experimentation it appears keychange does not
alter the function keys at a low enough level.  (Besides the fact that
altering some 50-odd keys with keychange seems like it cannot be the right
answer.)

Termcap seems to be in order. cons25l1 tc's cons25w, and cons25w seems to
have the correct ANSI values for the function keys.

So howcome if TERM=cons25l1 is set, the keyboard produces weird xterm-like
strings?

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html