Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 06:55:13 -0800
From:      "Lute Mullenix" <lute@willinet.net>
To:        "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: It's started

Ok, I will check into the ppp.conf.sample. On install I went through the
network dialup ppp connection box, and when I typed in "dial" it connected
to  my ISP, however at the time there was nothing set up to try the
connection with, so I don't know if it was working properly or not. Also do
not know how to shut it down, so ended up leaving it connected till the
system reboot, and now I don't know how to get back to the place where I
type "dial" to get it up again, figure it must be some where in the book, or
online handbook, just have not gotten that far yet. Am kind of chomping at
the bit to get at least e-mail up and running.

Now the reason I'm wondering about recompiling the kernel for X is on the
XFree86 web site it mentions that for the i810 server to work AGP GART
kernel support is required, and I don't know if the generic version is set
up that way. Besides the fact that I'm looking forward to cooking up a
kernel of  my own. This is for version 4.0.x (3 I think) that came with the
distro. When I tried to fire up 3.3.6 it errored out with /dev/agpgart not
configured, so figured it must have something to do with it.

I have set up X and PPP on Debian Linux, however not on this box, and I know
that FreeBSD does things differently, so pretty confident that I will be
able to get the job done, just a matter of finding the where and how of it
all.

Thanks for your input, and as mentioned, will look into the ppp thing you
mentioned.

Lute