Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2019 17:52:18 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PoerMac G5 "4 core" (system total): some from-power-off booting observations of the modern VM_MAX_KERNEL_ADDRESS value mixed with usefdt=1

For the modern VM_MAX_KERNEL_ADDRESS value and also use of the usefdt=1 case:

This usually hang during boot during the "Waking up CPU" message sequence.

But not always. Powering off and retrying , sometimes just a few times, and
other times dozens of times, the system that I have access to does eventually
boot for the combination. So some sort of race condition or lack of stable
initialization?

When it does boot, smp seems to be set up and working.

Once booted, it is usually not very long until the fans are going wild,
other than an occasional, temporary lull.

For for shutting down the following applies to both VM_MAX_KERNEL_ADDRESS
values when a usefdt=1 type of context is in use:

When I've kept explicit track, I've not had any example of all of the:

 Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufdaemon' to stop...
 Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-1' to stop...
 Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-0' to stop...
 . . .

getting to "done": instead one or more time out. Which and how many
vary.

The fans tend to take off for both VM_MAX_KERNEL_ADDRESS values. The
buf*daemon timeouts happen even if the fans have not taken off.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went