Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 14:37:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
To:        Ross Potts <rpotts@med.osd.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modems

> Now I want to use a modem on FreeBSD at home.  Before I started leaning over to
> this OS, I tried Linux.  Then I heard that they would not take winmodems.  On my
> Compaq Presario, that is apparently what I have(no jumpers!).  That and the
> stupidly easy setup in FreeBSD made me change over.

It is not the lack of jumpers makes the winmodem suck, it is the lack of
a UART chip.  The UART chip is being emulated in software.  When I
worked for an isp, the winmodemds were the hardest to fix via phone
support, and dies very easly.

> I have since then bought a motorola modemsurfr-33.6(with jumpers).  Wouldn't you
> know it... two days after I bought it, I found (in the FreeBSD Handbook?) how to
> change IRQ settings in userconfig.  Maybe I could still use the winmodem and
> save the settings like described for NICs?  I will keep both modems.

Take the winmodem and donate it for a tax writeoff, it is better that way.

> My problem is this:  I have yet to be able to get a dial tone!  AARRRGghhhhh!
> I'm using a book for Linux, but the concept is the same in how to set the dev
> files!  I know once I get a dial tone, setting ppp will be simple.

I am asumeing you are not getting the dial tone on he winmodem.  YOu
do not have to set and dev files for serial devices like a modem,
the ones are in this order.
COM1	/dev/cuaa0
COM2	/dev/cuaa1
COM3	/dev/cuaa2
COM4	/dev/cuaa3

I find the best way to make sure the modem is working is use minicom.
It is alot like Telix (in my opinion the best term that was ever made),
and it is easy to configure.

Stefan