Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:03:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Erroneous Ierrs from vx0

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Jan 22), Doug White said:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I just purchased a 3com Etherlink XL PCI ethenet card and it's working
> > great on 2.2-BETA, except for one thing:
> >
> > gdi,ttyp1,~,12>netstat -i
> > Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts OerrsColl
> > vx0   1500  <Link>      00.a0.24.ba.13.f8    76188 44915    23649     00
> > vx0   1500  128.223.170/2 gdi                76188 44915    23649     00
> >
> I had similar problems just last week trying to NFS mount an SCO disk
> onto a FreeBSD machine, both P6/200's.  The SCO box had a PCI Intel
> EtherExpress Pro/100, the BSD box had a PCI 3c905 Fast Etherlink
> XL/100.  I would only get the first 2 frags from the 8k NFS
> transactions.  NFS's retries failed, since it would resend the whole 8k
> packet over (and, of course, only the first 2 frags would make it to
> the BSD box). A "netstat -i" on the BSD end gave me lots of ierrs, but
> I saw no console messages.
>
> Seems the vx0 driver doesn't print error messages unless you go into
> debugging mode.  Do an "ifconfig vx0 debug" to enable them, and watch
> all the "RX overrun"/"packet overrun"/"fifo underrun" messages spew
> out.

I tried that and guess what:

Jan 22 15:57:09 gdi /kernel: vx0: packet overrun
Jan 22 15:57:40 gdi last message repeated 474 times
Jan 22 15:58:02 gdi last message repeated 274 times

So much for getting a card discounted :(  I bought this through my office
pretty cheap.

> I swapped the 3com card with an Intel EE Pro/100B (fxp driver) and my
> problems disappeared.  I suspect one of the DEC chipset cards would do
> fine also.

It's finding one that isn't the silly new chipset now....Noticed that the
place I'm buying a new MB from has a Kingston 21140 card, I'll try that
one.

> I've noticed that when I run 3Com's DOS config program that the card
> reports 5K of receive buffers and 3K of send buffers.  Is this really
> all there is on the card?  If so, I can understand the NFS problem, but
> I can't believe a 100mbit card woud have such small buffers.

I'll have to poke that.

I wonder how bad it is on the Win95 boxes that these normally go into.