Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 12:46:03 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        utsl@quic.net, "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@allcaps.org>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-standard root filesystems

Ian Dowse wrote:

> I presume you know that FreeBSD already allows you to mount another
> filesystem directly over /? Do you actually need to remove the
> original root filesystem, or is it just for cosmetic reasons that
> you would like it to disappear from the mountlist?

Union filesytem is currently "busted" AFAIK in 4.5.  Perhaps Terry
Lambert can comment more meaningfully on the cache coherency issue.

We're doing work for a commercial project, but hope to return a
portion of it to the FreeBSD Project if we can get it committed --
the politics of which are beyond my comprehension ;-)

There is also some weirdness, IIRC, to doing union mounts which
mix RO and RW filesystems, but I may be misremembering.