Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 22:01:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alberto de Poo Bas <adepoo@tamnet.com.mx>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk error

Thanks, that explain a lot, because some other disk don't have this
problem but the geometry was diferent (like 787 cyl, 255 heads, 63
sectors).

Other question, the geometry on an IDE disk can affect the performance or
break something? This is because the above mentioned disk, to change the
values to what they say in the case.

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Robert Nordier wrote:

> > I have the following error at boot up
> >
> > Disk error 0x1 (lba=0x299cd0)
> > No /boot/loader
> >
> > If I reformat to use ALL the disk for FreeBSD (no 62 sectors at front)
> > then this error don't show.
> >
> > I need to have one FreeBSD partition and one DOS partition in this disk.
> >
> > The same error show with a couple of other disks, all of them Seagate
> > Medallist IDE (one is 8GB and the other 2 4GB)
>
> A disk error 0x1 indicates that at attempt was made to read above disk
> cylinder 1023 using the BIOS.  You must ensure that your FreeBSD /
> filesystem is completely within the cylinder 1023 limit that the BIOS
> imposes, if you want to boot from your hard drive.
>
> --
> Robert Nordier

Saludos

Alberto de Poo