Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:48:21 -0800
From:      Benedict Reuschling <bcr@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update and kernels

--tcIR7U3M3c7FqX8xtX4r3TqK7iPKJEDej
From: Benedict Reuschling <bcr@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-doc@freebsd.org

--nEnB6A6FDP6pe2I7SIAg3RxMV4sjNQuad

Hello Adam,

thank you for your suggestions to improve that chapter of the handbook.

Warren is currently working on an upgrade/rewrite of another section in
that chapter which might touch/overlap with your suggestions.

Here is the review for it:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7665

You're welcome to leave comments there if you think that will help get
that chapter back into shape.

Regards

Benedict

Am 11.11.16 um 23:51 schrieb Adam Weinberger:
> Hi, doc folks. Can someone please take a look at section 23.2.3 of the =
handbook?
>=20
> At multiple points in 23.2.3.1, and in the nextboot instructions, it te=
lls users that the GENERIC kernel will be updated if it lives in /boot/GE=
NERIC. AFAICT, freebsd-update will only update the GENERIC kernel if it l=
ives in /boot/kernel, NOT /boot/GENERIC.
>=20
> At best, running "nextboot -k GENERIC" after following the instructions=
 will boot an old, non-updated kernel. At worst (i.e., if people follow t=
he instructions given), they will attempt to boot a kernel that doesn't e=
xist.
>=20
> Shouldn't users be told to keep GENERIC in /boot/kernel, where freebsd-=
update will actually update it, and to install custom kernels into /boot/=
SOMENAME?
>=20
>=20
> I'd suggest changing that nextboot line to be "nextboot -k kernel".
>=20
> Then, I'd suggest replacing the first paragraph of 23.2.3.1 with someth=
ing like this:
>=20
> """
> Before using freebsd-update, ensure that a copy of the GENERIC kernel e=
xists in /boot/GENERIC as a backup in case anything goes wrong.
>=20
> freebsd-update will update the GENERIC kernel, but only if it is instal=
led into /boot/kernel and only if it is completely unmodified. If a custo=
m kernel has only been built once, [... etc]