Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 11:07:18 +0100
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        marc@bowtie.nl
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem implementing a general faxpopup for FreeBSD

In article <199603031048.LAA08436@nietzsche.bowtie.nl>, Marc van Kempen writes:

-The problem however is that the DISPLAY environment variable
-does not seem to get passed to the faxpopup, but I need to
-know that to be able to support users working on a remote display.

I think you'll have some problems here. The filters are started by lpd and
run therefore euid to the id of lpd (which is root or daemon).
So, unless you're using xhost (which is NOT recomended!), you don't have
authorization to use the DISPLAY (at least under R6 and xauth).
I don't thing that it is good idea to provide a daemon with an user interface.

ciao
  lutz

Lutz Albers                                     |       What's good ?
Luederitzstr. 14, 81929-Muenchen, Germany       |      Life's good -
email:lutz@muc.de          ph: +49-89-93940364  | But not fair at all
http://www.muc.de/~lutz    fax:+49-89-93940365  |          (Lou Reed)

Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.