Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 18:35:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        sweeting@neuronet.com.my
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help pls : how to optimise mail server response

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 sweeting@neuronet.com.my wrote:
> The problem is that they are having a lot of difficulty
> collecting mail from the mailhub I set up for them
> on a P166 FreeBSD box with 64 MB RAM.
> We are a webcompany with 2 MB line to the same
> ISP that our customer is dialling into. (We are not the ISP)

If all this is doing is serving mail for a handful of virtual
domains, it should fly.

I'm not familiar with the 3Com cards, haven't used them in years,
but my impression is that they are towards the bottom of the
list for FBSD.  You should give an NE2000 clone a try, cheap
and effective even if they aren't the fastest around.

My guess would be that it is a DNS problem.  Since you say
the Alpha is probably short of memory anyway, I'd move DNS
to the FBSD box.  I don't like running DNS on web servers
anyway.  But if it was strictly a problem of slow DNS the
webservers would be slow too.  Since you don't mention it
I'll guess you aren't getting any complaints about them.

So that would suggest DNS configuration problems.  Can't
check that with dummy names and IP addresses.

So, move DNS to FBSD and if that doesn't fix it outright
post with real names and addresses.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com