Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 09:03:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@noc.dfn.de>
To:        rnordier@nordier.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        adepoo@tamnet.com.mx, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk error

hello, world\n

# > I have the following error at boot up
# >
# > Disk error 0x1 (lba=0x299cd0)
# > No /boot/loader
# >
# > If I reformat to use ALL the disk for FreeBSD (no 62 sectors at front)
# > then this error don't show.
# >
# > I need to have one FreeBSD partition and one DOS partition in this disk.
# >
# > The same error show with a couple of other disks, all of them Seagate
# > Medallist IDE (one is 8GB and the other 2 4GB)
#
# A disk error 0x1 indicates that at attempt was made to read above disk
# cylinder 1023 using the BIOS.

That's an interesting and helpful bit of information. Is there enough
room in that particular stage to print a message to this effect? Even if
0x1 is not guaranteed to be caused by exceeding the cyl limit, a hint
like "Disk error 0x1 (lba=0x299cd0), may be caused by read beyond cyl
1023"

With disks getting bigger almost everyday and BIOS limits cast in stone
I expect this type of error becoming ubiquitous soon...

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.shuttle.de/schweikh/