Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:10:34 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Dario Freni <saturnero@freesbie.org>, Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

At 12:16 AM +0200 7/1/05, Dario Freni wrote:

>Little update to the article. USB, sadly, works better than
>FireWire. When booting from FireWire i'm not able to make a
>buildworld. It exits really at *random* points with quite *random*
>error codes (96, 120, 223...). Absolutely no problem switching
>to USB (same box, it's a combo usb/fw external case).

Interesting.  I've done buildworld/buildkernel with /usr/obj on
an external firewire drive, and it worked fine.  I did it hoping
to see a performance boost by having /usr/obj on the faster
external firewire drive, while /usr/src was still on the slow
internal drive of the Mac-mini.  There was no significant speed
difference, but everything seemed to work perfectly fine.