Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:40:41 +0800
From:      "David May" <David_May@allsolutions.com.au>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Q] why does my firewall degrade Web performance?

I have a FreeBSD 3.2 firewall running ipfw+natd in front of a Windows
NT 4.0 Web server and an internal network. Internet connection is 2Mb DSL.

When the Web server is protected by the firewall Internet users report
Web server responses are unacceptably slow.

If I connect the Web server directly to Internet users report page
downloads are faster.

The firewall machine CPU load is always light. It is a Pentium II Celeron
300MHz, 64Mb RAM, four Ethernet cards (3 D-Link 10/100, 1 NE2000),
and around 180 ipfw rules.

I can see nothing wrong when I look at output from tcpdump, netstat. No
dropped packets, no fragmentation, no collisions, traffic on the 2Mb link
is light.  It is just seems slow.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong here? What can I do to find the cause?