Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:59:20 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Linda Messerschmidt <linda.messerschmidt@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: UNIX domain sockets on nullfs still broken?

2009/12/10 Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>:

>>> It is a security problem. I think the long-term solution would be to ad=
>>> sysctl analogous to security.jail.param.securelevel to handle this.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why is allowing accessing to a Unix domain socket in a
>> filesystem to which a jail has explicitly been allowed access more or le=
ss
>> secure than allowing access to a file or a devfs node in a filesystem to
>> which a jail has explicitly been allowed access?
>
> (I seem to have caught this thread rather late in the game due to being o=
> travel) -- Ivan is wrong about nullfs, it's broken due to a bug, not a
> feature, and that bug is not present when using a single file system. =C2=
=A0He's
> thinking of unionfs semantics, where if it worked it would be a bug. =C2=
=A0:-)

You have a point there. I was actually thinking more of sysvshm -
which doesn't have anything to do with any of the issues here - but
has some of the same properties (and is also used by databases - e.g.
postgresql, which I'm using daily so it sort of cross-linked). The
reason I'd like the nullfs barrier kept is that it (like shm) is used
for IPC, and in this case, IPC across different jails (though a file
system itself also be used so...). It's not a big issue - I'll also
accept that it's the operator's fault if he doesn't know sharing file
systems will also share sockets and fifos on it...