Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:59:19 +0100
From:      George Reid <george.reid1@ntlworld.com>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, dave@jetcafe.org, tlambert2@mindspring.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 09:37:56PM -0700, Neal E. Westfall wrote:

[...]
> 2)  The litany of passages you offered as personally objectionable
>     to you indicate that you are hardly an unbiased interpreter.
>     Why you would poison your own well like that before making your
>     controversial claims, one can only speculate.
[...]

On the contrary, it is your well that I'm poisoning.  If you are going to
cite passages from the Bible in support of your arguments, you'll have to
explain to us why it is that you don't adhere to all of the laws written
in Leviticus et al.

Additionally, what makes you think I find them personally objectionable?
Perhaps you are emotionally involved in the argument; I am not.  At no
point did I say that I agreed or disagreed with any of the statements.
Perhaps I do believe that homosexuality is a greater abomination than
eating shellfish or that slaves from neighbouring nations are acceptable.
My personal beliefs are not important.

[...]
> 5)  If you think you have a case, please present your arguments,
>     instead of making grandiose assertions with little to back
>     it up besides your claim to know Hebrew and Greek.  If that
>     is the case, present your arguments so that they can be
>     scrutinized.  You'll have to excuse me for not just taking
>     your word for it.
[...]

Further to this you wrote in an earlier post, and I quote:

> Do you think that Christians just made up the doctrine of hell?  Where
> do you think it came from?  Did it not come from the lips of Christ
> himself, who claimed to be your Messiah?

Hence the original postulate that hell is real (with little to back it
up) was brought up by none other than yourself.  It is your claim to
argue.  My response to you was an attempt to solicit such an argument so
that I can supply you with a counterargument.  If I had the time I would
sit here all day and write you a small book on the inaccuracies,
contradictions, malicious mistranslations and other such errors which
riddle the teaching of the doctrine of hell.  Unfortunately this is not a
luxury that I possess.  You substantitate your claim that hell is real and
I'll do my best to refute that claim.  Perhaps we'll both learn something
from it.

--
George C A Reid
WWW: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~greid/  Mob: (07740) 197460