Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 10:00:27 +1000
From:      Andrew <mynet@uq.net.au>
To:        Mitch Vincent <cygone@zoomnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using one FreeBSD box as router/firewall/vpn

You use a ram disk for the parts that need to be witeable or you could have
them mouted via NFS or SMBFS but kinda defeats the security aspect a bit.

There is no decrease in speed except for when the system is loading.
From there it all runs from ram ( which the machine would have plenty of ).

You would not use this for a server but for a firewall where all you are
doing is routing/filetrting/blocking packets then this is an interesting
way to bring down cost and improve reliablity.

If something happens and you are not in the office you simply inform
the office staff to hit the reset switch.

Andrew