Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:46:08 +0930 (CST)
From:      Matt Baker <matt@portal.net.au>
To:        shashi@Shift-F1.com (Shashi Joshi)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideal Server configuration??

> Hi guys,

Howdy,

> I am planning to buy a new system for web server. I wonder if anyone has
> come up with what a medium duty web server/mail server with dynamic page
> generation (cgi scripts) whould have. Here is my initial start:

How many users are you planning on handling on the mail server? How many of
these would be connected at the same time?

> 	Pentium II 450 MHz
> 	256MB
> 	4 SCSI 9.1GB each
>
> I intend to be under $1500 without the price of hard disks, if possible.
>
> What are the other factor in hardware that should be taken in account for a
> web server?
> e.g. compare along the following lines:
> 1. PII 450 vs PIII 450
>    PIII 450 vs PIII 500

certainly here, the price difference between PII/450's and PIII/450's
is very minimal.  I'ld be using a PIII/450 or 500

> 2. 256MB vs 512MB
> 3. L2 cache of 512K vs 2MB

this realy depends on the number of users. Personally I've found having
more ram rather tahn more L2 cache is of benefit (if you can't have both)

> 4. 2 18GB SCSI disks vs 4 9.1GB SCSI disks

providing that you can cool them 4x9.1GB 7200rpm drives work well

> 5. SCSI motherboard vs. separate SCSI adapter?

I've been using Asus P2B-S with onboard Adaptec controllers and found they
work well. I've not found any difference with having the SCSI controller
off-board (Adaptec 2940UW) so you might as well save the $$

> I am trying to see the performance gain in each option, how much important
> each is. e.g. increasing the memory is always better than increasing the
> CPU speed, when it is already 450MHz (which is good enough).

Exactly.  You'll find that a PIII/450 will probably be more CPU than you'll
need at the moment. By the sounds of your application it's ram that you'll
find yourself running out of first.
what are your cgi's written in?

Matt.

--