Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:04:24 +0200
From:      Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
Subject:   Re: 6.3-PRERELEASE desktop system periodically freezes momentarily

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Toomas Aas wrote:
>> I have a 6.3-PRERELEASE system (last cvsupped Dec 12), which
>> always freezes *once* a few minutes after booting up.

> This is usually when your system accesses swap because you ran out of
> free RAM.

Hmm, I thought that 768 MB RAM (minus 16 for integrated video) should be
enough for anyone ;) at least when just running fluxbox with no apps
started yet. Right now 'top' shows that no swap is being used and I have
Thunderbird, Firefox, xchat, xmms, xcalc and 5 xterms with ssh sessions:

last pid: 1264;  load averages:  1.04,  1.04,  1.01 up 0+02:07:15 21:59:30
82 processes:  2 running, 80 sleeping
CPU states: 0.4% user, 98.5% nice, 1.1% system, 0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle
Mem: 149M Active, 227M Inact, 100M Wired, 1388K Cache, 84M Buf, 251M Free
Swap: 512M Total, 512M Free

but of course I can't claim that swap wasn't being used when the problem
happened.

I do understand that there is virtually nothing in my initial posting that
could possibly help track down the problem. I just got this "me too" feeling.

--
Toomas Aas

... Windws is ine for bckgroun comunicaions - Bll Gats, 192