Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:56:39 -0800
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems installing FreeBSD 4.0 20000125-CURRENT

Hi,

  I installed 4.0 20000125-CURRENT last night on a new box, and had
several problems that I wanted to share:

1. sysinstall forgot to write my hostname to /etc/rc.conf .  I had gone
into the options menu and selected "DHCP"; when I picked my network
interface it looked for and found a DHCP server and popped up the
network configuration box with most of the fields filled in (including
domain name); all I did was type in a hostname.  sysinstall then added
the domain name to the host name and I said "OK", but that hostname
never made it into rc.conf (it booted up calling itself Amnesiac).

2. motd was full of garbage.  I realize now that I should have saved it
but I wasn't really thinking.

3. On the first reboot after installing, the keyboard was in a funny
state.  Some keys would provide multiple characters, some would do none.
Control-alt-del definitely didn't work, so I had to power off and
reboot.  This hasn't repeated itself.

4. X didn't come with /usr/X11R6/lib/aout, so I can't run netscape.
I used the expert install and picked the "Install everything" option
so I assumed I'd get everything =)

On the plus side, being able to use DHCP rocks, and I really like how
it installed the Linux packages when I picked Linux emulation.  And
4.0 seems to work well with this random hardware (emachine 400),
including the onboard sound and random ethernet card (linksys something).

  Bill