Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:01:03 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@home.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFilter 3.4.6 on a FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE box

	Hi guys.  I am running Ipfilter on a fbsd 3.4-release box with
ipnat.  After about 5 days or so, the box refuses all tcp connections.  I
am more willing to bet on various "noise" affects rather than any known
problem, but I am curious if it was a known issue at all?  (checked
archives, nothing specific on this).  I have seen very weird errors, such as

sshd[532]: warning: can't get client address: Connection reset by peer
sshd[532]: error: setsockopt IPTOS_LOWDELAY: Connection reset by peer
sshd[532]: error: setsockopt TCP_NODELAY: Connection reset by peer
sshd[532]: error: getpeername failed: Socket is not connected

arplookup 128.11.86.107 failed: host is not on local network

We are not on the 128 network either.  Which is extremely odd.  Does it
seem like hardware issues?  Bad nic?  Bad ram?

64 megs of ram.  Using two 3com ethernet 905Bs.  Celeron 366 or so.

incoming rules
0 @1 block in log quick from any to any with short
0 @2 block in log quick from any to any with opt lsrr
0 @3 block in log quick from any to any with opt ssrr
0 @4 pass in on lo0 from any to any
64 @5 block in log on xl0 from any to any
1 @6 pass in quick on xl0 proto tcp from any to 63.86.70.80/28 port = 22
flags S/0xff keep state
0 @7 pass in quick on xl0 proto tcp from any to any port = 20 keep state
0 @8 pass in quick on xl0 proto tcp from any port = 20 to any port > 1023
keep state
4 @9 block return-rst in log on xl0 proto tcp from any to any flags S/SA
0 @10 block return-icmp in log on xl0 proto udp from any to any

outgoing rules
0 @1 pass out on lo0 from any to any
977 @2 block out log on xl0 from any to any
977 @3 pass out on xl0 proto tcp/udp from any to any keep state
0 @4 pass out on xl0 proto icmp from any to any keep state

Do you guys see anything weird?  pstat -T, netstat -m, all show up
A.O.K.  (nmbcluster at 4096, not even close to max usage).

maxusers = 128

#pseudo-device  bpfilter 4      #Berkeley packet filter

options         IPFILTER                #kernel ipfilter support
options         IPFILTER_LOG            #ipfilter logging

options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN         #drop TCP packets with SYN+FIN
options         TCP_RESTRICT_RST        #restrict emission of TCP RST
options         "ICMP_BANDLIM"

options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096

I did comment out the berkeley packet filter.  Almost everything else is
the same, these are the only interesting kernel switches.  It only runs
sshd, and ipnat.

If everything "seems" ok, I am going to assume hardware problems.  I have
used natd before, and never experienced problems.  This is my first run
with ipfilter in a production environment, and I am experiencing some
issues.  I am more likely to blame it on hardware over ipfilter in
itself.  So just curious if my configuration "looks" fishy or prone to some
kind of "self inflicting" DoS.  :)  Box just randomly starts denying all
TCP connects or rejecting them as if it was in a DoS.

My guess is bad hardware causing a bad memory address write.  <shrugs>  I
will try running natd on it later to see if there is a difference.  Thanks
in advance guys!

-Carroll Kong