Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 97 9:09:19 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Net connection guidelines

> Recently, I saw a nice little summary of bandwidth guidelines, e.g. if
> you're reselling T1's, you need one upstream T1 for every 4 downstream
> T1's, plus something similar for end users (x 28.8's -> 56K, y 28.8's -> T1)
> Of course, now that I've been asked about such metrics, I've lost the
> reference.  Any ideas?  Thanks...

It's all dependent on your utilization patterns.  If your customers are
not really _using_ the T1 too much, you can overcommit fifty to one (I know
some organizations that approached that number).  If you have folks like
me living on a downstream T1, you'll be lucky to get two to one.

Four to one is probably a reasonable "worst case" guess, you should be
able to go as high as ten to one, as long as the organizations that you
are connecting are not whapping the daylights out of their links.

Any more detailed advice requires some analysis of your existing network
traffic (or, if you don't have any yet, you need to set it up and _see_).

When pricing your services, remember this:  Many ISP's are looking to
cover the cost of their existing (single) T1 when they price their
services.  That is almost invariably a mistake, in my opinion.  You
should assume that it will take you two T1's (to different providers)
to get reliable single-T1 bandwidth.  That may change somewhat when
you grow, but historically it's been easier to lower prices a bit down
the road than to raise them.

... Joe