Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 18:16:10 GMT
From:      hal@vailsys.com (Hal Snyder)
To:        Shawn Klomparens <klomp@sisna.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

On Sat, 17 May 1997 11:27:02 -0600, klomp@sisna.com wrote:

>I was just looking through the FreeBSD mailing list archives, and I found
>your message regarding FBSD as a dedicated router. Can you suggest any
>documents or sources which might address this solution in more detail?

There's not a lot I can tell you.  Say "yes" to gateway in
/etc/sysconfig.  Use ipfw or ipfirewall to filter out unwanted traffic.
Use bpf (=bpfilter) if you want to use tcpdump.

I have used this approach at two commercial sites.  FreeBSD runs 24x7,
uptimes limited only by scheduled reboots.  Tcpdump eliminates the need
for a separate sniffer.

Do you want to route across LAN's only, or talk to a wide area link?  If
you want to connect to a T1 or frame relay link, you can use an Emerging
Technologies HDLC card with (one or two ports per card) and your FreeBSD
system as good as a Cisco - better if you think in Unix.  Adding an
interface is as easy as inserting a network card in the PC (or switching
in a double card for a single).  I'd try scanning/emailing
questions@freebsd.org for the latest on WAN cards.  (I'm copying this
message there.)