Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:16:43 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@sigpipe.cz>
Subject:   Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

On Friday 21 October 2005 18:34,  the author Michael C. Shultz contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:

>On Friday 21 October 2005 17:07, Vizion wrote:
>> On Friday 21 October 2005 16:59,  the author Roman Neuhauser contributed
>> to the dialogue on-
>>
>>  Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:
>> ># linimon@lonesome.com / 2005-10-21 17:39:58 -0500:
>>
>> Good point
>>
>> I know my opinion might be regarded as ecentric but, as I see it, the
>> community is spending far too much od its developmental resopurces on
>> advancing the operating system and far too little on bringing user
>> interfaces and convenience up to date.
>>
>> I see it as time to slow down on OS development and really focus on
>> bringing the operating system management to a level that accords with
>> comparable modern day standards.
>
>I completely agree with slowing down on OS developement , it seems pointless
>to race for higher version numbers while problems remain with previous
>versions.  As far as the ports system goes though, to date FreeBSD is way
>ahead of every other OS I've looked at IMO, of corse that is a poor excuse
> to stagnate.

I agree with what you say. It is because the ports system is so good that I
want:

a) o see it used to the full despite its limitations (everything can be mafe
better and its easier to make better things excelllent that things that have
been done less well!! :-)

b) Because the ports system provides a sound starting point for a thoughtfully
designed system wide management GUI built either by using mysql/apache/php or
through using something like eclipse.

c) building a modern system management interface needs OS development to slow
down while user interface systems catch up .. then we have a basis to really
go forward

My two pennorth

david