Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:43:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jmz@FreeBSD.ORG (Jean-Marc Zucconi)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: incorrect output from w

>  >> How can the IDLE time be greater than the uptime?
>
>  > Are you mounting "noatime" or "async"?
>
> A partition holding the src tree is mounted noatime and a scratch
> partition is mounted async. /tmp is on a MFS. All other partitions (/,
> /usr, etc...) use default flags (atime, noasync).

In general, idle time is calculated from the timestamp on the
tty, while uptime is an uptime wall clock.

If you have rebooted a chine after a period of inactivity, and a
network timesync did not occur before you logged in, then you could
see this much drift in that little time.

Alternately, if you were not updating the times correctly (the contents
of the /dev directory were on an FS where updates were disabled), then
you could also see this.

Finally, I have assumed that these session are real, and not a wtmp
artifact of a system crash.  If you did not fix wtmp on boot, you
could see "phantom" processes hanging around like this, as well.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.