Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 95 11:48:48 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        dennis@et.htp.com, taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Linux? (fwd)

> > "Powered by FreeBSD" does not imply approval, nor should it. You're talking
> > about restricting "free" advertising. Its like saying that only skinny girls
> > can where your tee shirts. The idea is to encourage expansion, not make it
> > more work.
>
> I'm inclined to agree.  If people can't even say "I run FreeBSD!" in
> public then we've somehow lost the original concept in our race to
> make sure that potential for abuse is curbed.

The point of the requirement was to allow their pages to be linked, not
to prevent someone who is really running Linux from caliming he's running
BSD.

Of course, anyone claiming to run BSD on an obviously (to net clients)
slow and unstable box of a non-BSD flavor *would* be giving "free negative
advertising".  That kind of "free", no one needs.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.