Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:13:49 +0200
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
To:        Xin LI <delphij@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d/SERVER patch for review (Reorder to make ldconfig start _before_ SERVER)

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 01:03 +0000, Xin LI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a patch that moves ldconfig before SERVER.  The reason is that:
>
>  - Now we start /usr/local/etc/rc.d scripts in the same order of base
>    system rc.d scripts.
>  - It is possible that a dynamically linked local daemon is started
>    after SERVER, which requires ldconfig to be run before to function
>    correctly.
>  - According to the current rcorder ldconfig would start _after_ SERVER,
>    which makes no guarantee that it was run before actual consumer.
>
> The attachment contains a tested patch that makes ldconfig a dependency
> of SERVER, thus makes it available for the application before actual
> SERVER daemons.
>
> Any comments?

I'd rather like seeing ports rc.d scripts fixed to require either DAEMON
or LOGIN, depending on if they should run as root or not.

After my latest commit to rc.d/named, ldconfig is started right after
mountcritremote (means ASAP), so this change doesn't really do anything.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org