Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2019 17:25:56 -0500
From:      "Farhan Khan (F8DA C0DE)" <farhan@farhan.codes>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Default Yubikey dev permissions

Hi all,

I am experimenting with a Yubikey, a consumer grade smart card that stores=
 certificates and passwords=2E I found that running 'gpg --card-status'
does not work without root access=2E By default /dev/usb/0=2E2=2E0 (my yub=
ikey) permission is 0600, owned by root=2E Without changing these permissio=
ns, the normal users would not be able to access the device=2E

Of course making the permissions too broad leaves it open to a rogue user =
with any terminal access (ie, via SSH)=2E However, it is still protected by=
 a 6-digit pin that will lock out after a default of 3 failed attempts=2E

Is it worth opening up the default permissions? Thoughts?
---
Farhan Khan
PGP Fingerprint: 1312 89CE 663E 1EB2 179C  1C83 C41D 2281 F8DA C0DE