Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:21:40 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Instability with offboard IDE controller, CMD-649

I'd previously posted to freebsd-fs list about this problem, I keep
loosing data and having stability problems with a CMD-649 PCI ATA-100
offboard IDE controller.

I've tried advice on turning off write caching, nothing has worked so far.
The problem seems to be more intensive when heavy IO load exists...

The system also spits out messages like this:

free inode /usr/1655 had 4 blocks
free inode /usr/44482 had 4 blocks

and it has gone into panic and crashed after _extreme_ heavy IO.

I'm down to one last option, being trying to run the drives at low speed
with old 40-conducter cables, just to try and force this controller to
slow down.

It claims to be ATA-100, but when booted in windows, the driver is trying
to run it in what it calls "UDMA mode 5", which to my best knowledge is
ATA-133, which neither the drive (a 40GB Seagate ST340810A 5400RPM) or the
controller supports.

If anybody has had this problem in the past, please advise me... I don't
want to go to 40-conducter cables to force it to slack off, but if there
isn't another solution anybody can think of, I'm willing to try.

Will

--
Willie Viljoen
Private IT Consultant