Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:21:58 -0400
From:      "Brian P. Trotter" <btrotter@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation oddities for i386 install

I have a Pentium-200 w//64mb RAM and a 3com 3c905c NIC that I am installing
FreeBSD 4.4 on.
It is giving me a couple weird problems that I am hoping someone can help
me with.

I have attempted an install about 5 different times, each time using a
different NIC, removing memory, reseating cards, and trying different
install options, and they all pretty much do the same thing.

First of all, I put in a 4gb IDE drive, set it to boot from CD-rom,
inserted the install CD, and fired it up. The install screen came up fine,
and I proceed to do a kernel config and install.
The first thing that I notice is a bad case of intermittent "pauses". I
will have a screen where I have to choose between which options to select.
I will be pressing my down arrow and all of a sudden everything will just
freeze for about 30-45 seconds, and then start up again. During this time,
I can press the arrows, space, enter, etc, and it acts as though it is
locked up. However, once it "unpauses" whatever buttons I pressed were
obviously remembered, because it does them all at once.
This pausing problem continues throughout the rest of the install. Even
going as far as pausing the package installation steps where it shows each
package being decompressed, and they will pause, and then resume again.
There have even been a couple times where the installation would in fact
lock up in the middle of a package installation, and I would have to reset
it and start over.

Second... once, after I trudged through a 1-hour install... taking into
account all the 45 second pauses, I finally got FreeBSD installed, and
rebooted. However, this time an error started flooding across the screen.
The error was:

lnc%d: Transmit late collision -- Net error?
lnc%d: Loss of carrier during transmit -- Net error?
lnc%d: Transmit of packet failed after 16 attempts -- TDR = %d
lnc%d: Heartbeat error -- SQE test failed
lnc%d: Babble error - more than 1519 bytes transmitted
lnc%d: Transmit interrupt but not start of packet -- Resetting
lnc%d: Start of packet found before end of previous in transmit ring --
Resetting
lnc%d: End of transmitted packet not found -- Resetting
lnc%d: Transmit buffer error -- Resetting
lnc%d: Transmit underflow error -- Resetting

I did a Google.com search on this error and saw it was referring to a
problem with a NIC driver that used an AMD chipset. I was using a 3com
3c905c at the time, and it wasnt listed as one of the affected cards, but I
switched it anyway. I put in a Compaq Intel 10/100 NIC, and re-installed
everything. This got rid of the problem with the errors flooding the
screens; however, there was still a very noticable intermittent pause every
15-20 seconds. You could be typing, and then everything would pause, and a
couple seconds later, everything would resume.
I did an xf86config, to get X configured, then did a startx. This was
horrible. It seemed as though I was trying to run X on a 386 with 4mb of
RAM. Everything was just slugging its way through all the menus and screens.
I then did another reinstall and tried to select less packages to install,
and the same thing kept happening.

I tried reseating all my cards, and I changed out the SDRAM memory with new
modules, and even put in another CPU, and tried a different NIC, and they
are all doing the same thing.

I wanted to rule out a hardware problem, so I installed OpenBSD on it, and
the install went flawless and operated flawlessly. It is just FreeBSD that
is giving me the problems.

I know this is a lot to throw out, and it is a broad problem, but does
anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian T.